Stop/Start/Continue

 

An article (and this image) in Learning Solutions pointed out why I initially had such a difficult time embracing some of the concepts taught in this class. I looked back at my first participation log and a question I asked was “Do I need to Tweet as well?” Now I chuckle, but in May, the thought of tweeting really disrupted by schema related to tweeting. So much was happening on Twitter over the previous four years, and not all good things, that I associated tweeting with doing something negative, or worse, being sucked into the tweeting world. I know that summer is a compressed semester, but it would have been nice to be able to do more “stop/start/continue,” as described in the article. I needed to connect the old way of thinking with the new way of thinking and then continue with the new schema. I am one of those learners that needs a longer pause or many pauses to process. I did eventually “drink the Kool Aid” and told my brother yesterday that I was actually having fun in school. He found this amusing.

The article provided an example of how a designer can do this in Storyline, using an interactive PDF, and asking students to brainstorm. The PDF generates learner-created notes they can share with peers or classmates. I also thought about how I could use this in developing a F2F integration of a diversity, equity, and inclusion thread in a large training program. We want to change the recruits schema of how they respond or react to situations. It might be a good instructional strategy to have them think about how they would automatically react to the situation, stop, apply what they have just learned, and then continue with a newly built schema. Think I’ll run it by the team this week . . .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this class has already changed my world.

Great start, bump in the road, boulder in the road, pebble in the rearview mirror

Yes, Multitasking is Changing Our Brains