My excuse for resisting the progression to management level . . .

This makes perfect sense to me. I am a maker. When working remotely, that first yellow chunk often occurred at 5 am, in my PJs, coffee in hand. I would fall asleep the night before, thinking creative thoughts knowing that first thing, before any "life" happened, I could capture it. This opportunity is now lost as I am back in the office, although I do send myself emails with creative updates outside of the 9-5. Oh, the second yellow chunk would sometimes not happen until 4 pm. There was an occasion that a 4 pm problem needed solving. I knew where the answers were and sent an email at 8 pm. The process was praised by management (not upper management) as an excellent example of collaboration – “the day shift found the problem and the night shift solved the problem.”

I now live in the "prison of presence" that does not allow me to be a maker, even though the work requires it. Funny that I told my manager that the office felt like a prison after my first day back in the office. The article discusses a "default to trust." I do not work in an environment or culture of trust. Maybe from my direct supervisor and colleagues, but not from upper management. Sadly, the criminal justice work environment is not a culture built on trust.
Are you back in the office? How do you feel about this? Are you getting more making done? Or are you busy doing presence things?


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this class has already changed my world.

Great start, bump in the road, boulder in the road, pebble in the rearview mirror

Yes, Multitasking is Changing Our Brains