Ebbinghaus Forgetting Curve


Image from https://www.famouspsychologists.org/hermann-ebbinghaus/ 

In a previous blog I talked about the Forgetting Curve and how we might want to think about incorporating it into instructional strategies when developing training. This article talks about the specific strategy of revisiting information in spaced intervals:

·       Reviewing the information within 24 hours after learning it

·       Reviewing the information briefly seven days later

I can remember in some of my classes as a child, we would often review the concepts we learned the day before and then begin with new information. When developing training programs (these are 770-hour programs), I’m thinking about how I could revisit the information taught the day before in the form of an exercise or game. Seven days later, do that again, but have the students apply the information in a scenario or role-play.

Considering the Hermann Ebbinghaus Forgetting Curve, how would you roll this into a course either F2F or online?

Image from https://www.invistaperforms.org/getting-ahead-forgetting-curve-training/




Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I think that having touch points where you tie back to previous information is useful. For example module 2 mentions back to module 1, module 3 modules 1 and 2. It could be a comment or a question. For me when I see this type of item and I realize I don't remember it, I go back and review. I expect this might not work for some people. However, if the course has a strong purpose and authentic tie, it would seem that it would.
    I like how you suggest a game - more fun than a little quiz. :) Great ideas and post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How this class has already changed my world.

Great start, bump in the road, boulder in the road, pebble in the rearview mirror

Yes, Multitasking is Changing Our Brains