Embarrassing Airport Moments in my Future

 

Years ago, while watching The Road, my youngest son was still rowing at NEU, and I had no idea what I would do if I were suddenly forced to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. Today, when I sometimes think (not seriously) about how this world is slowing spiraling into an apocalyptic event, I know exactly who I want on “my island” – my youngest. He is a wilderness EMT, outdoor hiking guide, survivalist, etc. Sometimes I think he would prefer to sleep in the backyard than in the spare bedroom.

When I ran across How to Pack a Backpack for Backpacking, I found a perfect opportunity to impress him with my knowledge about backpacking. We are planning to backpack and climb around Joshua Tree (subject to change) next spring break. I am currently preparing by wearing my small backpack when I go on hikes and walks (up to carrying 10 lbs. now!) and adding weight to my bike when I go for a ride. I need to be able to hike for several hours carrying a 30-40 lb. pack. Adding just 10 lbs. to my small frame caused muscle fatigue not the first hike, but the second hike, and I am still stretching through the muscle soreness. So glad that I am starting early. I learned a lot from this article so that in January, when I will begin training with my 40 lb. pack, I will pack it smarter – but probably my son will move things around at the airport.

 

McKay, B., & McKay, K. (2021, June 18). How to Pack a Backpack for Backpacking. Artofmanliness.Com. https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-pack-backpacking/?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this class has already changed my world.

Great start, bump in the road, boulder in the road, pebble in the rearview mirror

Yes, Multitasking is Changing Our Brains