Moving away from the firehouse but landed in a never ending oyster field.

In my ongoing effort to convince myself that I am not a digital immigrant but a digital native, and that I was just born too soon, I decided to explore every single click option on our blog page. I read all of your posts and commented on many, but not all. I followed, subscribed, and joined every social media on our blog page and linked pages, and found many jewels of resources for information. I clicked on so many links to so many incredibly informative, insightful, and relevant nuggets of information. Thank you!

When finished, I felt a lot like I usually do when I begin a writing project. (WARNING: The following content may be inappropriate for certain audiences.) I spend several weeks/months digesting a lot of information, maybe too much,  and then end up throwing it up on a Word doc. I step away from the vomit for a couple of days; play catch up in other areas. Upon my return, with a fresh perspective, possibly the learner's perspective, I begin to wade thru the muck, organize it, filter it, and make sense of it all. Surely you have a different way of doing this?!

After feeling "caught up" at 11:25 last night, I realized that I needed to pace myself, find my stride, like soon, as I could not sustain this sprint. After reading Goldfield's article, I created yet another digital sticky note with reminders:

My goal is to explore diversity, equity, inclusion in the digital learning world.

This class is an opportunity to explore social media. (try on all the clothes in the closet)

This class will provide choices for filtering through social media platforms that my learners will or may become comfortable using (place the clothes that I will never wear in the Goodwill box)

Reassure myself that this is not a sprint, but a marathon, and that this process will repeat itself several times over the course of my career (eventually the closet will fill up again)

Be brave, embrace the feedback, revel in the successes.

This class will feed my ever increasing demand for more fodder for my vomit, and this is a good thing!

(PS: and then I found this in my twitter feed 😎)


Comments

  1. It's easy to become absorbed with all of the information to be found on the world wide web. I too need a reminder some days to pace myself. This week is especially important for that! There is a total lunar eclipse today as we head into mercury going into retrograde this weekend (if you read or care much about the stars) but either way, it can be a time at least for me where my mind is so full of ideas that I can't possibly keep up. I can relate to your intense digestion of information. I already found myself today bouncing from Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, back to the Canvas course, back into BadgeList and perhaps need to take the marathon approach. What specifically are you hoping to explore related to DE&I in the digital learning world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you didn't consider yourself a digital native before this week, I'm sure you consider yourself one now! That's mighty impressive to follow all of the social media pages on our blog homepage and to read and post for almost everyone's blog. I think if there's any validity behind the digital native/immigrant distinction, one of the traits of digital natives is to throw yourself into a multitude of social media accounts, blogs, discussion boards, or any place online where people *are* – where they talk, share, post, and learn.

    I have a similar method for beginning my writing process. Although I try to make my word doc "vomit" somewhat digestible (oh jeez...), it's the same way. I end up working through the mucky unnecessary stuff and whittle it down to the quality stuff. It works the same way with finding online communities and networks, you have to wade through the mud to find the gems!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How this class has already changed my world.

Great start, bump in the road, boulder in the road, pebble in the rearview mirror

Yes, Multitasking is Changing Our Brains