Do you think that a Masters in ISLT is a Scam?

Passing along an interesting article about the “Biggest Scam in Higher Education.” Had no idea that student loans for a bachelor’s degree are limited and master’s degree unlimited. The State of Florida paid for my bachelor’s and is now paying for my masters. My thirty year old still has an outstanding loan from his bachelor’s degree and is now studying for his GRE to work on an MSW. I do wonder if my friends with Phds are still paying off their student loans? When they find out that I am back in school, they assume it is for my Phd, or just flat-out wonder why in the world I am doing this. I’ve always been a late bloomer, late to the table, late to have that “ah ha moment.”

When I think about the ISLT program, our final portfolio is akin to a final portfolio for an MFA, there is a lot of creativity and innovation involved. Think about our produsage project that I truly believe mine is boring, but we have to start somewhere, right? I feel for the folks with MFAs and high student debt who are just entering their field, looking for meaningful work, looking for a way to pay down their student debt. This is not a problem that we, meaning ISLT majors, will have when we finish this program. I read a blog last week that laid out the plethora of job prospects for instructional designers, the salaries, and opportunities for flexibility in what we specialize in. Unsure if it was an EME 6414 blog or another blog I’m on, and wish I had bookmarked it so that I could reference it here. I didn’t learn anything new in the blog (probably why I didn’t bookmark it), but it reinforced why I was doing this crazy thing and working on my masters. This directs me back to a blog I wrote about how important our roles are in the communities that we will work in. This ISLT degree program is grounded in science (of the factual kind, thus an MS) that allows us to design learning experiences grounded in that science to effect change.

Often asked what an instructional designer does, I tell them that they are enablers, they enable others to change. Then I get all geeky on them with “who use a systematic approach . . .”

Thinking about it though, fine arts does change our view and interpretation of the world, and how we respond to it. So we need these degrees as well. Here's one of my favorites . . . a website that you can make your own Jackson Pollack!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How this class has already changed my world.

Great start, bump in the road, boulder in the road, pebble in the rearview mirror

Yes, Multitasking is Changing Our Brains